Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Sore in the Saddle

Greetings, friends! (If you've ever watched Jeff Dunham - I always think of "Greetings Infidels" but that only makes sense if you've watched some of his comedy - not a fan of his later stuff, but his early on stuff cracked. me. up!)

So, I promised real. I promised a look in to an average gal's life and how she races. To be honest - no excuses, I haven't been a good Spartan...when I didn't have a race to train for, I lost my "umph" for working out.  Then, there's a health code I live by called the "Word of Wisdom" and in it - it pretty much outlines a healthy way to live. 

That being said - I'm the type of member of a gym that gyms live for - the kind that pays the membership and doesn't go - well, my business coach didn't find this to be super solid advice. AND - if you know ANYTHING about the CrossFit community - my gym boss wasn't keen on this either.  In this world, you're family. You're cared about. You're expected to be there and when you're not - you're missed! So - I went back last week :D

Now - after spotty working out - a walk, a virtual race or two - it got kind of dicey. But, just like heading out of the gate at a race, super stoked! The WOD (workout of the day) included squats. The following day - I could NOT understand why I was so sore!  Haha, it wasn't until I was talking to my friend (thinking I'd only done 45 squats) when I realized I'd done 135! Bahaha....well, I didn't go back until today - those killed me, tbh! I was sore through Saturday. I DID go swimming twice, though - so I wasn't WITHOUT some sort of activity.

Well, today - back at it. I wasn't super awesome, but I did my best through my fatigue. I'm going to have to be patient with my body that I've been neglecting as I get back to where I was - weight, strength, stamina! BECAUSE!!!  We WILL race again. We will, in fact - some are already opening up :-)

 I have to pop on a Zoom meeting in a minute - but nutrition wise - I pretty much eat anything I want.  I don't tend to drink a lot of pop, eat a lot of chips, etc. I consider those a treat.  I LOVE salty things and sweet things. Popcorn, chocolate milk, etc. I'm not a total "health snob" BUT I know what my body likes. Maybe it's age - maybe it's been the whole time I've had a body, I just have finally started paying attention!  I LOVE salads. I'll have a salad everyday - it's the preparation I don't like much. I tend to allow myself one treat a day - whether it is a gatorade, candy, something sweet. SOMETIMES - I have more, sometimes, I have none.  I love Gatorade and Vitamin water more than pop - so I opt for G2 and Vitamin Water Zero - sometimes, though - like when my favorite flavor (Rain) isn't in "zero" I consume the calories! BUT - not everyday :-)

Another unintentional thing - I've pretty much cut out cow's milk. Sometimes with a milkshake, or a glass with dinner - I'll drink some, but I enjoy almond milk in my smoothies and on the - maybe once a week - cereal. BUT - again, I'm not a food snob, so if there's no almond milk, I go with it - OR I have something else.

Aside from smoothies - one of my ABSOLUTE favorite breakfasts is a piece of toast (Dave's - bigger loaves from Costco) with a piece of cheese, then spinach, then an egg. Sometimes, lately, I'll leave out the spinach and have avocado.  One day, I'll have it all ;-)

Anyways!  Sparkle on!

No comments:

Post a Comment